We are considering bringing a new furry friend into your family but are unsure whether to choose a puppy or a kitten. Our Harbor Animal Hospital vets will explain why raising puppies and kittens together is a great idea.
About Raising Puppies & Kittens Together
Getting a new pet is exciting, but having two new fur babies simultaneously can feel a bit overwhelming. There are a lot of benefits to raising your new puppy and kitten together. When dogs and cats are introduced properly at a young age, the hate and fear instinct doesn't have the chance to grow and increase, so that they can overcome it much faster.
This is not always the cause, it can depend on the breed, but in most cases, puppies and kittens can be the perfect match for each other.
Our Harbor Animal Hospital veterinarian will elaborate on why raising them together can benefit your pets.
Are They A Good Match?
Puppies and Kittens are generally a good match for each other for several different reasons, including:
- Personal Hygiene- You will notice that your puppy and kitten will start to clean each other. They tell each other that it is time for a cleaning.
- Keep Each Other Company- When you have to leave the house, your pet misses you. Having a puppy and a kitten at home together gives them someone to spend time with on those days when they are all alone.
- Outside "Buddies"- Kittens are not always outdoor pets, but they can be your puppy's play friend as they learn to go outside. You can put both your kitten and puppy on a leash and take them outside for playtime.
- Sleep- Sleeping in a new place can be very scary, but then you have your new kitten and puppy, and they can cuddle together when they want to sleep.
- Potty Training- If you are raising a puppy and kitten together, they can be potty trained together and will be able to learn from each other.
- House Rules- As you are teaching your dog not to jump on the furniture or stay in a certain area of the house, you can teach all your pets the same rules. This also makes it easier on your puppy because they are not being disciplined when the kitten is not.
Can They Become Best Friends?
Raining a puppy and a kitten to get has many advantages. They're likely to become lifelong friends because they grow up side by side, pricing support to each other. Having each other also helps, especially if your cat or puppy has anxiety or attachment insecurities.
Make sure to do some research on the best types of dogs that bond with cats. Certain types of dogs -- those with a strong prey drive -- aren't usually good with felines. Think twice about keeping any terrier, sighthound, or husky with cats.
On the other hand, breeds like s spaniels, retrievers, bulldogs, Keeshonds, poodles, and Lhasa Apsos usually make great companions for kittens.